Sunday, November 14, 2010

Module 6 Blog Post

The first thing I will need to do as a leader in educational technology is to research the emerging technology, take advise from others, and locate those that best meet the needs of my school. I’d present these at a school meeting along with their uses. Then I’d need to compile research and any existing data to support the emerging technology and cost analysis. I would need to have available grant proposals. There would be a need for a survey to find out the mind-set of the other staff involved. Afterwards, I’d have to secure the financial backing for the technology costs: equipment, tutorials, support documents, professional development. I’d need to post these on the shared drives of the school for school-wide access. I hold monthly “ways to use” ideas for the technology during scheduled teacher meetings, offer help, demonstrations, and suggestions as needed.
I would make the technology available to all genders, cultures, and socioeconomic backgrounds by making them accessible using the school computer lab, easy to use, and free to all. I’d try to steer clear of all sensitive issues by surveying different groups to find out their needs and requirements. Then I’d take these and adjust how to use the emerging technology as necessary. Dr. Soloway (n.d.) stated that to address the leveling of the playing field is to eliminate the digital divide by putting Internet access on cell phones. Being able to communicate with each other would allow for an acceptance through experience with others.

Reference

fita (2010). Addressing the digital divide. [webpage] Retrieved from: http://www.knpd.org/mittsfita/digitaldivide_adr.htm

Soloway, E. (n.d.). The digital divide: Leveling the playing field [vodcast] Retrieved from: http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com

Thornburg, D. (2008a). An amazingly incomplete emerging technologies bibliography. Lake Barrington, IL: Thornburg Center for Space Exploration.

Thornburg, D. (2008). Evolutionary technologies. [vodcast] Retrieved from: http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com

1 comment:

  1. Debra,
    That’s a great idea to actually research the emerging technology first. It’s better when you can explain in further detail when trying to get others to use something or learn something new. When telling others how it benefit you to use this particular technology yourself, they feel less comprehensive about finding out about the technology. I know many of my colleagues don’t like change. They are always apprehensive about new technologies that are bought to us by someone from the board office. Personally, there are some things that I don’t like as well as those that I do. However, I try my best not to complain before actually giving it a fair try.

    ReplyDelete